Your conveyancer is there to protect you and help you through your property transaction. No matter whether you are buying or selling property, a good conveyancer can make the difference between a successful and stress-free transaction and one that doesn’t go to plan. But how do you find a good one?
It’s best to start looking for a conveyancer at the very beginning, as soon as you decide to sell or buy a property. That way, they can assist with every decision and be able to foresee any issues that may arise in the process. Having this insider knowledge can save you from making any legal missteps and from wasting your time or money. It also means that your conveyancer will have time to get prepared before the transaction gets underway and allows them to draw up the necessary paperwork in advance.
When you’re reaching out to conveyancers (also known as property lawyers), you may be uncertain of how to choose a good one. Start by asking them some questions.
Questions to ask your conveyancing solicitor
When you’re shopping around for a good conveyancer, there are things you can ask them to get an idea of how they will handle your project and whether they will be a good fit for you. You should ask them specific questions about your particular property, but for general questions, consider asking:
- What types of property do you specialise in?
- How much experience do you have with this type of property?
- What costs can I expect? – What are your fees and what fees and costs will I have to pay at settlement? Can you foresee any hidden costs?
- How will you communicate with me and how often?
- What kind of timeframes can I expect for settlement?
A good conveyancer will be open to your questions and answer them to the best of their abilities. It’s good to remember that sometimes things don’t go to plan, no matter how prepared you are, so things like fees and costs, timeframes, and outcomes can only be estimated.
What makes a good conveyancer?
Whether you’re buying or selling a property, a good conveyancer is just as important to have on your side as a good real estate agent. There are many things that can indicate a quality conveyancer and they’re important to look out for when doing your research.
A good conveyancer should offer:
- Tailored services to suit your needs and to ensure you don’t have any unnecessary expenses.
- Experience in the industry and with your property type. They should know how to address all the issues that commonly affect buyers and sellers.
- Open communication and an approachable manner. It also helps to deal with the same person from the beginning and until the end of your transaction.
- Helpful advice at every stage, to provide you with peace of mind and confidence.
- Free quotes so that you can get an idea of their fees and charges before you engage with them.
Why choose Pitt Street Conveyancing?
We pride ourselves on providing our clients with a true value-for-money service and helping them achieve the best possible outcome. There are many reasons why we would be a great fit for your next property transaction, but here’s just three key reasons to choose us as your conveyancing solicitor:
- We will guide you through the whole process and take care of most of the paperwork, phone calls and legwork for you.
- You’ll be protected by our depth of experience and knowledge in conveyancing and the property market in Sydney.
- We will do everything we can to complete your transaction as quickly and as smoothly as possible.
Our team has helped buyers and sellers of real estate legally transfer property for more than 24 years. We specialise in the Sydney marketplace and can assist in residential and commercial conveyancing, leasing, sale and purchase of businesses.
We understand that buying and selling property can be one of the most stressful times in your life, so we do all we can to smooth the process for you. For instance, we always answer the phone when you call, and we work to push your settlement along – we don’t always wait for a call from you before we take the next step. This is key for reaching settlement quickly, which saves you valuable time and money.
You can enquire about a free quote here and get in touch with us if you have any questions. We’re here to help you every step of the way and can offer expert advice if you are a little unsure of how to find a good conveyancing solicitor. Reach out to us by calling (02) 8256 4788 or filling out our contact form here.